About Us and Our Mission:
The Jewish Federation of Greater Rockford is a non-profit, charitable organization located in Rockford, IL. Our mission is to further the welfare of the Jewish community in Northern Illinois and worldwide. To plan for the philanthropic, social, cultural and educational advancement of the Jewish community in addition to fostering cooperation among the local Jewish organizations directed toward those ends.
The Federation gives continuity to Jewish values:
- Mutual respect and accommodation of diversity within Jewish life (klal Yisrael).
- The requirement of righteous giving and just behavior that ensures the basic well-being of fellow human beings (tzedakah).
- The obligation to do good works, promote peace and understanding, and help the hungry, homeless and oppressed (tikkun olam).
- The promoting of educational and cultural opportunities for Jews and interfaith families at every stage of life (Jewish identity).
- The supporting of Israel, the democratic homeland for the Jewish people.
The Federation fulfills its mission by:
- Providing financial resources to help meet short- and long-term community needs, both locally and globally.
- Supplying educational resources for children, adults, educators and families.
- Working with the media, policy-makers, and other opinion-shapers on behalf of various community constituencies.
- Keeping the community informed about relevant current issues.
- Changing lives and giving people the opportunity for new experiences through programs and services.